I am interested in developing integrated information theory by using biologically-plausible neural networks and genetic algorithms to test its predictions about consciousness, perception, and sleep.
- Laboratory in Computational Cognitive Neuroscience
- Artificial Intelligence
- Neural Modeling Laboratory
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Combinatorial Topology
- Introduction to Neuroscience
- Creating Modern Web Applications
- Multiprocessor Synchronization
- Programming with Data Structures and Algorithms
- Models of Computation
- Fundamental Problems of Geometry
- Abstract Algebra
- Linear Algebra
- Cybersecurity and International Relations
Research and Professional Experience
- Joined the integrated information theory group, led by Dr. Giulio Tononi, at the Center for Sleep and Consciousness at University of Wisconsin–Madison.
- Designed and implemented software to calculate integrated information (Φ) and other quantities and structures of interest in IIT.
- Developed web-based visualization tools for exploring integrated-information-theoretic properties of networks.
- Implemented genetic algorithms for evolving virtual organisms.
- Founded Crowdsurf.io to bring sophisticated analytics to the live event industry.
- Designed and implemented software architecture and proprietary algorithms.
- Contributed to product and business development.
- Participated in the competitive fall session of Betaspring, a startup accelerator based in Providence, RI that provides seed funding and mentorship for early-stage startups.
- Studied a novel 2-parameter family of kernel functions for data interpolation, under the direction of Dr. Greg Fasshauer, Professor of Applied Mathematics at the Illinois Institute of Technology, in the Research Experience for Undergraduates program.
- Contributed to a code repository of numerical experiments in Matlab.
- Conducted theoretical investigations of closed forms for Green’s functions associated with the 2-parameter family.
- Presented results at:
- Research funded by NSF grant DMS-1115392.
Technical SkillsPythonNumPy + SciPyMatlabLaTeX*nixRVimGitC++CoffeeScriptNode.jsAngularJSExpressMongoDBBootstrapStylusLessSassHTMLJadeZshBash
- Go is the ancient board game of strategy and tactics, believed to be the first board game ever invented, and
as yet unconquered by computer programs. Update: Engineers at Google seem to have a good shot at making history here!Update: Congratulations to the Google DeepMind team—they did it!
- Raised funds and recruited new members.
- Participated in Go tournament at MIT in 2010 for the Brown University Go team.
- The club received early support from the Ing Foundation, whose mission is to promote the spread of Go in Western countries.
Summers of 2007–2011
- Held a leadership role among the staff as one of the senior counselors.
- Taught campers (ages 11–13) skills in woodworking (designing a project, drawing a plan, carpentry techniques) and techniques of marksmanship.
- Mentored campers, encouraging their independence and helping them develop self-confidence and social skills.
- Worked closely with other counselors as a team to ensure camp activities ran smoothly.
- Classical instruction from 2003–2009.
- Jazz instruction from 2012–2013
- Performed recitals at Senior Living Centers as community service, 2008–2009.